EssieButton.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
Don’t sleep on Vitamin C because it can do wonderful things for your skin. It’s great for fading dark spots, fighting signs of aging and adding a radiant glow to your complexion. Who doesn’t want to look glowing?!
The tricky part about Vitamin C is that it’s not for everyone and it’s all about finding the right one. The risk is worth the reward given the benefits!
Review of The Ordinary’s Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is a heavy-duty serum aimed at fading dark spots, dullness, and creating a glowing complexion.
This product is intense and not the best option for sensitive skin, if your skin can tolerate it, it’s a transformative product!
The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% Detailed Review
Dermatologists recommend vitamin C all the time because it is an essential part in any skincare routine; it fades dark spots, brightens the skin, and adds a radiant glow to your complexion.
But, vitamin C can be highly irritating and this is not the product I would start off with if you’ve never used it before.
At 23% Vitamin C, this product is intense but it has the power to do wonders for your skin.
This Vitamin C Suspension tingles and may even burn on application. The Ordinary advises that this is normal and this product is supposed to tingle for 10-20 seconds after applying it. A product burning is not an indication that it’s working and more so an indication that it’s irritating your skin.
If this product feels like a burn more than a non-irritating tingle, be careful with continued use. If it tingles, that sensation should go away with continued use as your skin’s tolerance increases.
Personally, I don’t have good luck with this product because it burns so badly to the point of making my skin itchy and uncomfortable but my skin is sensitive.
However, if you don’t have sensitive skin, the product is worth try and could be your new best friend!
The Ordinary recommends their Vitamin C Suspension 30% in silicone if you don’t like the gritty texture. The Ordinary recommends mixing this product with a moisturizer or serum to help dilute the formula if it’s too strong for your skin. I have mixed this product with their moisturizer for a much more pleasant experience with no burning or tingling.
Bottom line, this product is strong and it won’t work for everyone. The Ordinary has a wide variety of Vitamin C products with varying potencies. But for those who tolerate it, this can do an exceptional job at targeting hyperpigmentation, dullness, and signs of aging!
Vitamin C Suspension + HA Spheres Pros
- Super affordable price for the high Vitamin C formulation.
- Easy squeeze tube packaging.
- If your skin can tolerate it, this serum can do wonders for your skin.
- This can be mixed with moisturizer or water-based serums to create a more tolerable experience. It makes the suspension less irritating and you don’t have to waste any product.
- Does a good job at brightening the skin and creating a glowing complexion.
- Silicone-free formula.
- Vegan, cruelty-free and alcohol-free.
- Evens out the skin tone and minimizes texture.
- Can be very effective at fading dark spots.
- Targets signs of aging.
Vitamin C Suspension + HA Spheres Cons
- This contains Vitamin C powder and has a gritty texture that lingers on the skin for around 20 seconds. The powdery texture is not great for dry or sensitive skin.
- This product has lots of rules for when you can and can’t use and what you can use it with.
- The Ordinary advises to use this product at night rather than in the morning.
- Tingling after application is common and expected with this product. Many experience burning.
- Many reviews complain about the gritty texture and burning sensation.
- If you have sensitivities to Vitamin C, this product will not work for you.
- If you have sensitive skin, this product burns and can be highly irritating.
- The texture can pill on the skin if too much is applied.
- Can cause breakouts if your skin is sensitive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Vitamin C Everyday?
Since this is a suspension, The Ordinary recommends using it at night. (It works like a serum but has a thicker, gel cream texture.) Just make sure you’re wearing a good SPF 50+ on your face daily.
If this Vitamin C is too strong for you, I recommend mixing this with a gentle moisturizer. It feels much more tolerable on the skin and kicks the tingly/burning and gritty sensation.
The Vitamin C conflicts with products containing Niacinamide, Peptides, Direct Acids, Retinoids, or EUK 134 0.1%. This product can be very irritating so it’s important to use it correctly.
Can I use vitamin C suspension with retinol?
There’s no problem with using both retinol and vitamin C as part of your skincare routine, dermatologists say. In fact, Shirazi calls this combo a “power couple” when it comes to aging well.
Can I use The Ordinary vitamin C suspension with moisturizer?
The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is a very lightweight cream with amazing antiaging and antioxidant properties. You can use it on its own or mixing it with the serum or the moisturizer.
This product is a little tricky because it’s not going to work for everyone and it’s not the most pleasant experience. Between the tingling and gritty sensation it feels like it’s doing more harm than good. If the gritty texture is not your favorite, The Ordinary recommends their Vitamin C Suspension 30% in silicone.
The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% isn’t the most user-friendly but if it works for your skin, it can really help to tackle dullness and hyperpigmentation.
Bottom line, if you have sensitive skin or sensitivity to Vitamin C, choose another product. I think of this product as a high risk, high reward product – it won’t work for everyone but it can be a great product if it works for you!