There’s a very expensive, well known and hyped skincare brand that has a pretty popular marula oil that is priced painfully high. Marula oil is a multi-use oil that is exceptionally effective at hydrating your skin and hair. It’s very rich in antioxidants, fatty acids and promotes collagen production which helps to hydrate the skin and target wrinkles and dark spots. It feels like a luxury oil but that does not mean you have to shell out tons of money for a good formulation.
The Ordinary 100% Cold Pressed Virgin Marula Oil is a luxe hair and skin oil that’s great at hydrating. It has a rich texture and non-comedogenic formula that is lightweight and beneficial for all skin types. Whether it be dry, split ends or dehydrated skin, marula oil is a powerful and effective remedy. The Ordinary’s Marula Oil matches their insanely affordable prices and it’s very comparable to the luxury oils on the market.
The Ordinary’s Marula oil is a great staple product to keep in your beauty routine because it is so versatile. It works as a face oil – targeting dryness, dull skin and dehydration. And as a hair oil great for combating frizz, dry split ends and damaged hair. Even as a remedy for dandruff or on dry cuticles.
The texture of marula oil is not too light and not too thick. It dries down and absorbs into the skin so you don’t feel oily or greasy. It’s great for dry skin types but I also think oily, dehydrated skin could use and benefit from this oil. The Ordinary’s Marula oil has no conflicts and it can be paired with any of their products. Marula oil is an emollient so think of it like a moisturizer, used towards the end of your routine to lock in moisture.
Marula oil is high in antioxidants and fatty acids. Antioxidants protect from free-radicals which can lead to dark spots so they’re very good to include in your morning routine. It contains amino acids and increases collagen and elastin production so it’s great at helping to fight fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also non-comedogenic which means it won’t clog pores and oily skin types can use it.
Marula oil is a very rich and hydrating oil with lots of effective skincare benefits. If you want pure marula oil, this is a good one and you don’t have to shell out the big bucks for it.
The Ordinary Virgin Marula Oil Pros
- Super affordable formulation. Similar products sell for 4-7xs the price of The Ordinary’s. They’re all 100% marula oil so this one is a great bang for your buck.
- UV glass packaging helps to extend the shelf life. It’s also recyclable and comes with a convenient dropper.
- Virtually scentless. The scent may vary depending on the batch and how old your formula is. So keep that in mind if your oil smells.
- Works on dry skin as well as dry and damaged hair. Apply it like a moisturizer or on the ends of your hair like a hair serum.
- Non-comedogenic formula means all skin types can use and benefit from this oil.
- The antioxidant-rich formula helps to promote a radiant skin tone and inhibit the formulation of dark spots. Pair it with an SPF 50+ for even better protection!
- Helps you to achieve a radiant, glowing complexion.
- Some call it a Drunk Elephant dupe – their marula oil retails for 4x the price of this one.
- Helps to target fine lines and wrinkles. The fatty acids also make it very effective at treating inflamed skin.
- Marula oil increases collagen and elastin production which also helps to target fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free formula.
- This formula is unrefined, pure 100% Marula oil.
- Works well to hydrate dry cuticles.
- This product gets many complementary and rave reviews.
- This is an effective product for treating a dry scalp and dandruff.
- Good emollient oil for dry, sensitive, and dehydrated skin.
The Ordinary Virgin Marula Oil Cons
- Not great for fine hair. Reviewers with fine hair report using this oil made their scalp and hair look greasy. If you want to try it, just use it sparingly…a little goes a long way.
- Some reviews complained of the smell. It can vary from batch to batch or if your formulation is old.
- Some say this oil is greasy and doesn’t absorb into their skin. It’s definitely not a common claim but The Ordinary does have a good return policy if you purchase this from their website.
- This formula is not nut-free so if you are allergic, this is something important to note. The Ordinary recommends patch testing all their products prior to using it all over to reduce the potential for irritation or allergies.
To use this oil in your hair, apply it to the ends of your hair to help combat dryness and split ends. Keep it away from your scalp as it can make your hair look oily. This can also be used as a treatment for a dry scalp or dandruff. Make sure to wash it all out with warm water to avoid an oily scalp.
To use it on your face, apply it at the end of your routine to lock in moisture like a moisturizer. You can also apply it before or after moisturizer for an extra boost of hydration. Use it in the AM or PM after your water based serums.
It can also be used on your hands and fingers to help treat dry cuticles.
This marula oil is available at:
Beware of purchasing The Ordinary on
Marula oil is a super versatile ingredient that can be used all over your body to help aid a number of different issues. It’s very hydrating without feeling greasy and that’s always something you want for an oil you will be applying to your face and body. It’s also non-comedogenic which means it’s a good option for all, even oily or acne prone skin types. Let’s not forget what a powerful hair treatment it is for dry and damaged hair!
The Ordinary’s 100% Virgin Marula Oil is super affordable along with being a cruelty-free and vegan formula. Similar marula oils on the market run for up to 7x the price of The Ordinary’s so consider this product a steal!