A cleanser is a vital first step in your skincare routine that I would tell you to save on. There are tons of good and affordable options that are effective at removing your makeup and adequately cleansing your skin. One of the best ones I’ve tried? The Squalane Cleanser by The Ordinary. It’s gentle, lightweight, hydrating, effective and very affordable. If you have dry, sensitive skin you need to try this cleanser!
The Squalane Cleanser by The Ordinary is one of their best products. It’s a lightweight, oil-based cleanser that removes makeup while keeping the skin hydrated. It’s a gentle, effective option that’s pleasant to use and never makes the skin feel stripped or tight after cleansing. This mega-affordable formula is a great first cleanse and proves that you don’t need to splurge on cleansers to have a good one.
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser is a gentle, hydrating, squalane based cleanser that feels like a dream on the skin. It’s great at removing makeup, cleansing the skin without stripping moisture or causing irritation. If you double cleanse, an oil based cleanser is known as a first cleanse. It removes makeup, SPF, and oils. Followed by a water-based cleanser that removes dirt, sweat, and anything leftover.
Does that mean this cleanser is only suitable for makeup removing? No, an oil based cleanser is good at removing makeup but it also works well for dry, sensitized skin. It does not strip the skin and nor is it a cleanser that will make your skin feel squeaky clean and tight. This oil base emulsifies with water to create a milky texture which is why it’s so gentle. It feels silky and soft on the skin, not soapy like a traditional cleanser. But, it won’t leave your face feeling oily or like a residue was left behind.
As someone with dry, sensitive skin, I loved this product and was super sad when I finished it quite quickly. It feels really pleasant on the skin and provides a nice experience while using it. The texture is so silky and gentle and the price is so affordable. It reminds me a little bit of the Fresh Soy Cleanser with the silky, light texture that does not lather.
This cleanser comes at a fantastic price point and the common complaint is that it’s too small! The Ordinary has released a value size with more product and we definitely recommend picking up that one. The Ordinary per usual is very affordable and this product is no different. Not the most luxurious packaging but definitely worth it for this price and formula.
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser Pros
- Super affordable and quality cleanser. Very effective as a first cleanse for removing light makeup.
- Alcohol, silicone, and oil-free. This formula is also nut-free.
- Comes in 2 sizes, a smaller and larger size. The smaller size does not last very long.
- Vegan and cruelty-free formula.
- Non-comedogenic, soap-free formula. This will not lather or create bubbles, it emulsifies to a milky texture. This also means it won’t strip the skin. But keep in mind it won’t feel like a traditional soap.
- Can be used with The Ordinary’s powder products to create a leave-on mask.
- Squalane oil-based formula is hydrating and emulsifies to a milky consistency. But, it does not feel oily or leave behind a residue.
- Works very well for inflamed, sensitive skin.
- Can be used in the AM and PM without stripping your skin. It would be a great morning cleanse when you need something gentle. This is not a cleanser that will make your face feel tight after using it.
- No detectable scent.
- Suitable for all skin types. If your skin is inflamed or irritated, it’s safe to use this product.
- This cleanser is very simple but it makes the case for less is more.
- This product gets great reviews and it’s a product you’re sad to finish.
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser Cons
- If you have oily skin, you may want something a little harsher or stronger. This cleanser is a more gentle one.
- Not the best option if you’re wearing heavy makeup. You may need to double up to remove it all.
- Frequently sold out due to its popularity.
- The small size is tiny and does not last very long! We recommend picking up the larger size if you can.
- Not the most luxurious packaging.
- It can be hard to get the last bit of product out with this packaging.
Use this in the AM or PM to lightly cleanse the skin. It works on bare skin and works to remove makeup. If you’re wearing heavy makeup or eye makeup, you may need to double up or remove that prior to cleansing. Since this is oil based, it’s a great first cleanser but keep in mind it does not feel oily. You can also pair this cleanser with The Ordinary’s Niacinamide or Vitamin C powder to make a leave on mask.
You can purchase The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser at:
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser is a really fantastic, gentle, and affordable product from their lineup. This squalane based cleanser is great for sensitive skin types as it’s incredibly gentle. It’s also safe to say all skin types can use this cleanser and benefit from it. If you’re looking to start up a skincare routine or haven’t tried The Ordinary before, this is a great starting point
The oil-based formula is a great option for a first cleanse and removing makeup. Yet it does not make your skin feel oily or leave behind a residue like the name may suggest. Ultimately in this case, less is more! This is one of The Ordinary’s best products and this cleanser proves that you don’t have to splurge to get a good one.