We know hyaluronic acid as a mega-powerful hydrator that retains moisture on the skin. The texture can be a little sticky, even hard to layer with other products but it works so well. The Ordinary’s Marine Hyaluronics is a hydrating serum derived from marine-derived vegan water reservoirs. It feels like water on the skin while increasing hydration by retaining moisture effortlessly. It’s like Hyaluronic Acid’s low maintenance, chill yet effortlessly cool little sister. What’s not to love?
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics is an ultra-lightweight and versatile hydrating serum. It retains moisture exceptionally well and works to dilute serums that are too intense for the skin. Its water-like texture is unlike anything you’ve tried before. Think of this product as small but mighty…and super effective at adding hydration into your skincare routine.
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics is a hydrating serum derived from vegan marine water reservoirs. This water attracts and holds in water like hyaluronic acid. The Ordinary shares that: “The formula contains exopolysaccharides from skin-friendly marine bacteria, Hawaiian red algae, Glycoproteins from Antarctic marine sources, micro-filtered blue-green algae and several health-supporting amino acids.”
Red algae is rich in protein, antioxidants and vitamins. It helps to clarify the skin along with retaining moisture that helps to replenish the skin’s natural hydration. Marine-derived water reservoirs attract and hold water just like an HA. The total concentration of active ingredients listed above in this formula is 23%. It’s a water based serum and that’s exactly what it feels like.
Don’t let the ultra-lightweight and watery texture fool you, this does a great job at drawing in moisture. To get the most out of this serum, you want to follow this up with a hydrating moisturizer or oil so the serum has moisture to draw in. But this nice thing about Marine Hyaluronics is the watery texture makes it light and quick to absorb. HA serums are typically thicker and even sticky while this feels like you don’t have anything on the skin.
I love this serum! It’s lightweight, easy to use and never feels heavy or thick on the skin. If you have dry skin and layer on products for hydration your skin can feel greasy, sticky and even heavy very quickly. This product eliminates those feelings and it’s lightweight hydration is very comfortable. Heavy does not equal hydrating and there aren’t many products out there like this serum.
Another plus – this product is suitable for mixing with other serums and treatments to dilute the intensity. For instance, if one of The Ordinary’s direct acid or vitamin C serums irritate your skin or burn, mix it with this to dilute the intensity. The Ordinary also recommends mixing this product with their Niacinamide and L-Ascorbic Acid powder.
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics Pros
- Ultra-lightweight, watery texture is easy to use. This does not feel sticky or thick on your skin.
- Very affordable formulation.
- This serum is a great option for those who don’t like the viscous texture of a Hyaluronic Acid serum.
- Red algae and marine-derived water reservoirs work to clarify the skin as well as retain moisture like hyaluronic acid.
- This can be used AM or PM with no conflicts.
- Includes all sustainably sourced marine derivatives.
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and alcohol-free formula. Also nut-free.
- Not only does this hydrate but it helps to soothe the skin, ease redness, and brightens the skin.
- If you have inflamed skin, this product will not further irritate it.
- This product layers and pairs well with The Ordinary’s Niacinamide Serum and Natural Moisturizing Factors. It layers well with any other product you may use and you don’t have to worry about this product pilling.
- If you have dry skin but don’t like a heavy or oily feeling on your face, this product is awesome and eliminates that.
- Helps to target dry patches and dehydrated skin.
- Lightweight, watery texture makes it good for all skin types.
- Recyclable glass bottle with an easy dropper applicator.
- This product is a great mix-in for The Ordinary’s L-Ascorbic Acid and Niacinamide powders.
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics Cons
- Some said this dried out their skin. If you want a thicker and viscous serum, go with The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid serum instead.
- Some reviews said this did nothing for their skin. You have to pair it with a hydrating oil or moisturizer so this can draw that moisture in. It’s not successful alone.
- Some reviewers said this made them breakout. The Ordinary recommends that you patch test all their products before using them to avoid this.
This is a water based serum so you can use it at the beginning of your routine. Definitely before oils and moisturizers as this will draw in the moisture from those products. This product is very watery and lightweight, making it superb for layering because it will never feel sticky or greasy. This product has no conflicts and can be used in the AM and/or PM.
You can also use this product to mix with The Ordinary’s Niacinamide Powder or L-Ascorbic Acid Powder to create your own serum or mask.
This product is available at:
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics is perfect for those who want to add hydration into their routine without a sticky, greasy, or heavy feeling. Heavy does not always equal better or more hydrating and this product makes a serious case for that. This product needs to be paired with something hydrating so it can draw in moisture. The Ordinary recommends pairing it with their Natural Moisturizing Factors to lock in moisture without the heavy feeling.
As for those who prefer a more viscous formula, try their Hyaluronic Acid serum that has the typical heavier, sticky texture. Both are exceptional hydrators. The texture of Marine Hyaluronics shines for those who want something lightweight. It’s great for all skin types and definitely a hidden gem from The Ordinary.