If you have any semblance of a skincare routine you have probably heard of Hyaluronic Acid before but what exactly is it? HA is a humectant meaning it helps to reduce the loss of moisture. It’s the basis of hydration in tons of skincare products and included in every skincare junkie’s routine. If you have dry skin it’s a must!
The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 is a hydrating serum that works as a humectant to reduce the loss of moisture. The serum contains molecules of all sizes to help deliver multi-level hydration to the skin. Not only does a Hyaluronic Acid help to hydrate the skin but it helps to improves skin texture, fine lines, dullness and elasticity. It’s hard to think of a reason not to use an HA!
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum is one of their most popular products. Everyone knows hyaluronic acid is associated with moisture and keeping the skin hydrated. But it’s actually a humectant meaning it helps to reduce the loss of moisture. It does not work on its own. You have to follow it up with a hydrator such as an oil or moisturizer so it has moisture to draw in.
The Ordinary’s HA serum, “uses three forms of HA with varying molecular weights, as well as an HA crosspolymer, to offer multi-depth hydration and visible plumping without drawing water out of the skin solely to improve temporary surface hydration.” Hyaluronic acid typically is a larger molecule which means it offers surface hydration. Sort of like a mandelic acid that cannot penetrate the skin as deep due to its size.
Offering a number of different molecular weights allows some molecules to penetrate deeper offering a more complete hydration. Along with the addition of B5 enhances surface hydration. If you’ve haven’t had success with a hyaluronic acid serum in the past, it may be due to the larger molecule. Some hyaluronic acid serums dry out your skin because the large molecule draws moisture out of the skin to hydrate the surface.
This serum has a sticky, viscous texture. I don’t love the texture so I prefer to use the Marine Hyaluronics serum by The Ordinary which also works to draw in moisture like an HA. If texture is important for you, that is something to note.
If you’re looking to incorporate HA into your routine, this serum is a good place to start. It’s easy, affordable and all skin types can benefit from it. While this serum is no frills, it does exactly what it says and that’s a good thing.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Pros:
- Affordable and effective HA serum.
- Contains 3 different sizes of HA molecules to offer multi-depth hydration. This helps to effectively hydrate the skin.
- Contains vitamin B5 to promote surface hydration
- Comes in 2 sizes for those that want something larger.
- Vegan and cruelty-free formula.
- Has a sticky, viscous texture that is free of alcohol and silicone.
- Since this is a humectant, you must pair it with a moisturizer or oil layered over top so it has moisture to draw into the skin.
- The product gets very complimentary reviews!
- Hyaluronic acid is a pretty good option for all skin types. Though, it’s still best to patch test before using to avoid any irritation or allergic reactions.
- Hyaluronic acid will also help to address bumpy skin texture, dullness and give a radiant glow to the skin. When skin is hydrated, it looks better all around.
- Works well with The Ordinary’s direct acids and niacinamide serum. This has no conflicts so you are free to use it with direct acids, retinoids, and Vitamin C.
- Works well for oily skin and won’t cause breakouts. HA is not just for dry skin types.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Cons:
- Some reviews dislike the thick, sticky, and viscous texture. The Marine Hyaluronics is a better hydrating option if you want something lightweight.
- Some reviews said this did nothing for their skin. You have to use it with an oil or moisturizer.
- The thick texture of this serum causes it to pill for some. You may have to play around with your routine if it pills when you use it.
Use this in the AM or PM before oils and creams. This does not have any conflicts so feel free to pair it with retinoids, direct acids, Niacinamide or Vitamin C. The most important thing to remember about a Hyaluronic Acid serum is that you must apply an oil or moisturizer over.
As a humectant, it needs moisture to draw into the skin so it will not work successfully when used alone.
The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid serum is one of their most popular products. This means it should be one of the easiest ones to find! It’s available at:
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum is one of their most popular products for good reason. This serum is an effective humectant, retaining moisture in the skin and it’s priced so well. For those who don’t like the sticky viscous texture, their Marine Hyaluronics is a great hydrator similar to HA that has a thin, watery texture.
I think there’s a case to make for everyone to incorporate some type of HA into their routine. Whether it’s in a cream or as a serum, all skin types can benefit from it. Plus, an HA works to help give a radiant glow, tackle dullness and can even help with acne or little bumps on the skin that come from dehydration. Hydrated skin always looks and feels better and The Ordinary’s HA serum is a great place to start.