If you’re into trendy, buzz-word skincare…I have the serum for you – meet The Ordinary Buffet + Copper Peptides 1%. This serum has a bright blue hue that shocked me at first. I later learned it’s due to the copper peptides, aimed at healing and improving the skin overall. This serum is one of The Ordinary’s pricest products. So, let’s have a conversation.
The Ordinary Buffet + Copper Peptides 1% serum is a cocktail of peptides aimed to target signs of aging. Copper peptides give this serum a blue hue and help to heal the skin barrier. It also contains Argireline and Matrixyl peptide complexes which help to target fine lines. Together, these peptides combine to make a potent, anti-aging, and smoothing serum worthy of many 5-star reviews.
Let’s talk about one of the Ordinary’s priciest serums. Not a sentence you hear too often coming from their products. So, what’s so good about it? This serum contains 11 skin-friendly amino acids (like argireline and matrixyl) and multiple forms of hyaluronic acid. Plus copper peptides which improve collagen synthesis, overall skin health and accounts for the blue hue.
It works to target signs of aging like loss of firmness and fine lines. In terms of performance, this serum is very similar to the original Buffet. Think of the original Buffet serum kicked up a notch with the inclusion of copper peptides.
Peptides are sequences of amino acids which make up protein like keratin, collagen and elastin. You lose these proteins as you age which leads to more fine lines, brittle nails or hair and dullness. The Buffet + Copper peptide serum is for targeting signs of aging.
But don’t think it’s just for ‘mature’ skin. It increases collagen production which leads to less fine lines and a younger, smoother looking complexion. Who doesn’t want that?
So, why copper? Copper peptides are naturally occurring in the body. On the skin, they work to heal and stimulate collagen production. All of this helps to smooth the skin, with elasticity, fine lines and firmness.
But, there’s not tons of research on copper peptides or even peptides in skincare and some call it gimmicky. Copper peptides can become irritating when too much is used or when it’s used too often. It’s all debatable but copper peptides do have skin restoring properties.
The Ordinary has a Buffet serum sans copper peptides. The copper peptides likely account for the hefty price tag this product has by The Ordinary standards. But, the Buffet and Copper peptides is the only serum with copper peptides by The Ordinary. Most serums with copper peptides are very pricey so while this one is considered pricey by The Ordinary’s standards, it’s not when compared to what else is on the market.
If you’re looking to target fine lines, texture and anti-aging, the Buffet serums can really help to smooth out your skin! The Ordinary also has their Matrixyl and Argireline serums which work to target fine lines so it comes down to what you’re looking for. If you’re looking at overall anti-aging properties and smoothing the skin, Buffet or Buffet + Copper Peptides is the route you want to go.
If you’re already a Buffet fan, picking up the version with copper peptides is a great way to level up your routine. If you look to The Ordinary for their affordability, Buffet can still be a great option.
Having tried both Buffet and Buffet + Copper Peptides, I think I’m still undecided as to which one I prefer. I haven’t experienced any irritation. Both share a similar, lightweight gel texture. It’s not sticky on the skin and it can layer pretty well. One thing I do know is I’m not going to stop using these serums any time soon!
- Contains 11 amino acids and copper peptides to target anti-aging, loss of firmness and skin elasticity.
- This serum works well to target fine lines + signs of aging. Some of The Ordinary’s other peptide serums only target fine lines.
- Contains copper peptides – a new buzz word in beauty. But they help to improve the overall health of the skin and work to stimulate collagen.
- Contains hydrating properties and helps to retain moisture. This helps to firm the skin and helps to diminish the appearance of fine lines. Hydrated skin = supple, fewer lines, and more radiant.
- Vegan and cruelty-free formula.
- Sulfate, paraben and phthalate-free.
- The lightweight texture absorbs well on the skin.
- This does get very complimentary and rave reviews!
- Reviews said they noticed smaller pores, a noticeable glow, and smoother skin when using this serum.
- If you’re a Buffet fan, using the copper peptides formulation is a great way to level up your routine!
- When used correctly, there should be little to no irritation and good results for the skin.
- While this is expensive for The Ordinary, it’s an affordable serum for copper peptides.
- Copper peptides can be gimmicky since there’s not tons of research on them in skincare. It’s debatable.
- Copper peptides can be very irritating to this skin, plus they’re not an ingredient you want to use daily.
- The Ordinary is known for the cost-effective and high quality formulas. This is one of their most expensive products. It’s still affordable for most skincare, but this is something to note.
- The price of this product is double the price of the Buffet serum for the inclusion of the copper peptides.
- Some reviews said this did nothing for their skin and caused irritation.
- Some reviews called this drying and sticky. The drying is likely due to the copper peptides.
Copper peptides are tricky. This serum conflicts with Vitamin C (LAA/ELAA – L-Ascorbic Acid and Ethylated Ascorbic Acid), Retinoids, Direct Acids, or Strong Antioxidants. As copper peptides can be irritating, this is not a serum you want to use all the time – maybe once or twice a week. Built up if your skin can tolerate it.
Use it in the AM or PM before creams and oils.
The Ordinary Buffet + Copper Peptides 1% serum is available at
Is The Ordinary Buffet + Copper Peptides 1% serum worth it? That depends on what you’re looking for and what you want to spend! While the serum is not expensive in terms of luxury skincare, it’s expensive for The Ordinary! So, if you’ve used the Buffet serum in the past with success, then you may want to level up with the copper peptides version.
This serum gets really complimentary reviews and it’s very affordable in terms of copper peptide serums. Regardless, Buffet and Buffet + Copper peptides are both peptide serums. And at the end of the day, both can help to improve skin tone, target signs of aging and stimulate collagen.