A rich and hydrating face oil is not for everyone but if you suffer from dry skin, it’s a dream. When paired with moisturizer or a good HA serum it can lock in moisture improving fine lines, providing ample hydration and giving your skin a glow. It can be used to dilute heavy foundations, leaving you with a glowy, wearable finish. It’s very versatile and everyone with dry skin needs a good face oil in their arsenal. We’re making a case for just the one you need!
The B Oil by The Ordinary is a rich and hydrating oil aimed at all skin types. It contains a blend of microalgae and many other hydrating oils to support the skin barrier and give natural radiance to the skin. This oil has a light green hue and a vegan and cruelty-free formula. Overall, it feels like a luxe, skincare staple that dry, dehydrated and sensitive skin will love.
A little bit about the ingredients in B Oil: the purified form of micro algae in a blend of squalane and oils of marula, argan, baobab, pataua, brazil nut, inca inchi, rosehip and borage to support healthy skin defense and a natural radiance. This oil features a heavy blend of hydrators, plus, the inclusion of micro algae which helps to reduce the appearance of redness. Something to note, this oil is not nut-free!
While a heavier oil, this absorbs into the skin pretty quickly. It’s not immediate but it does not linger or feel greasy. The Ordinary advises this oil for all skin types but, I think if you have oily skin this may be a little heavy for you. As someone with pretty dry skin, I really enjoy this oil and think it’s a great option for those with skin similar to mine. This does not mean oily skin types can’t use it, you may just find it a little heavier than what your skin needs. It’s reminiscent of olive oil in the dropper with a green hue and very similar consistency.
This product has no conflicts in regards to what you can mix it with! It’s best to use it after water-based product, near the end of your routine, after all serums. You can layer a moisturizer over it for more hydration. You can even wear it under makeup or mixed into your foundation to dilute the coverage for a glowy look. This product can be used day or night and it’s a great basis for hydration, whenever you need that in your routine.
The Ordinary B Oil Pros
- Fragrance free formula.
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula.
- Affordable formula. Similar oils from other brands can cost 5-7 times the price.
- Great for hydrating dry, sensitive skin.
- The packaging contains UV protection.
- Suitable for dehydrated skin.
- Contains a blend of different oils to boost radiance.
- The inclusion of micro-algae helps to reduce redness.
- Absorbs quickly into the skin. This will not make you feel greasy.
- Does not pill when used with moisturizer and after water-based serums.
- The dropper applicator is easy to use. The glass bottle is recyclable.
- This oil is very soothing and gentle on the skin.
- This reminds me of high end, luxury oils.
- This will make your skin glow.
- This has no conflicts as to what it can be used with. Just use after water-based products so it layers well.
- This can be used morning or night.
- This can also be used as hair oil.
- Does not sting. Safe to use on inflamed skin.
The Ordinary B Oil Cons
- This is not the best option for oily or acne-prone skin.
- Some reviews complain about a ‘fishy’ smell. Check if your product is older or near the end of it’s shelf-life if you experience this. It could depend on the batch you get. I did not experience this!
- This is a heavier oil.
- This product is a little harder to find and it tends to be sold out because it’s so popular.
- If you are allergic to nuts, you don’t want to use this oil.
- Some said this oil irritated their skin. The Ordinary recommends patch testing their products on a small area of your face or neck prior to use to see how your skin reacts. The Ordinary and Sephora does have a good return policy if this oil does not work out for you.
Use this oil near the end of your routine, after water-based serums. It can work alone as a moisturizer or layered with a face cream for extra hydration. The ultimate hydration trio would be the HA serum, this oil followed up with a moisturizer to lock it all in. Mix this into your foundation for a lighter, glowy look. Use it on your hair to nourish dry ends. This can be used AM or PM and has no conflicts with other products.
The B Oil is available at:
The Ordinary B Oil is a great bang for your buck! The texture and consistency feels like a high-end, luxury product. The best thing about this oil is, it’s richly hydrating but absorbs quickly into the skin without feeling greasy. The inclusion of micro algae to help reduce redness is a very nice addition to this formula.
While this oil is not for everyone, The Ordinary has a large line up of oils and hydrators. There’s a better option for you but if you have dry, sensitive skin – this oil should definitely be a contender. Another win by The Ordinary!