Having a double chin can make you feel self-conscious and impact your level of confidence. Apart from exercising and a strict diet, there are other ways to effectively reduce its appearance, like a gua sha facial.
If you’re thinking of using gua sha for double chin reduction, here are a few things you should know before you start gliding your scraping tool.
What Causes A Double Chin
Double chins occur as an excess of fat in the submental space or the area underneath the chin. It may accumulate for a number of reasons, such as the following:
- Obesity – Carrying extra weight can cause fat to build up in different places around the body, especially underneath the chin part.
- Weight gain/loss – One can get a double chin either by gaining weight or losing it. On the latter, it can appear once you’ve lost weight, and it can be challenging to remove.
- Aging – As a person ages, the skin starts to lose its elasticity and begins to sag in areas that were once tight, like the arms and the chin.
- Genetics – You can get a double chin just through genetics. Your gene pool can largely determine the tendency to accumulate and hold submental fat.
- Posture – Having poor posture can increase the size of a double chin. If you tend to slouch or look down at your phone a lot, the muscles in the submental area begin to weaken and sag.
Using Gua Sha On Your Double Chin
Gua sha can help highlight your facial contour. It improves blood circulation, relieves muscle tension, reduces puffiness, promotes elasticity around the neck and chin areas, tones the facial muscles, and drains stagnant lymphatic fluid. This leaves your skin completely rejuvenated and with a better, brighter complexion.
Doing the gua sha treatment on your own is quite easy to follow, and this guide will help you out; the best thing about gua sha is that you can do it by yourself anytime, anywhere.
What To Do Before The Session
Before anything else, you must start with your face washed clean before putting on your favorite moisturizer or facial oil. You can use various skincare products like face creams, oils, serums, or mists for your skin to be hydrated and aid the gua sha tool in gliding on your skin smoothly. This method will also help the skin absorb the skincare products’ nutrients and benefits better.
Before you proceed with your gua sha treatment, here are some useful tips to have in mind:
- Always hold the curved side of the gua sha stone.
- Hold it to a 30-45 degree angle to the area you want to work on.
- Hold the tool with a light and firm pressure, move slowly with an upward-lifting motion, and use a careful pace for each stroke.
- If you’re new to gua sha treatments, avoid using any sharp edges.
- If you’re already experienced with the treatment, gradually adjust the pressure according to your liking.
Choose The Right Gua Sha Stone Shape & Material For Double Chin
Concave or cleft-shaped gua sha stones are usually used for double chin treatments since they specifically target the neck (concave) and the jaw (cleft). These tools are shaped to optimally fit the gua sha movements used to target the neck and jawline.
For the material, it’s recommendable to use either black obsidian, Bian stone, rose quartz, jade, or stainless steel since they work best in promoting lymphatic drainage, contouring the jaw, improving elasticity, and reducing puffiness.
Gua Sha Movements for Double Chin
With the flat surface of a concave or cleft-shaped gua sha stone…
- Start gliding from the middle of your chin, and move upward toward one side of your earlobe.
- Move slowly from the middle of your chin to the base of your ears just above the jawline. To fully support the lymph flow and reduce any swelling,
- Apply small to medium pressures to ensure that the process is slow and steady.
Repeat the sessions 2 – 3 times a week. You’ll see visible results in a matter of weeks.
You can also use a facial jade roller for maximum effect after your gua sha session. It massages your skin, tightens pores, and promotes collagen production. Roll it along the jawline and rest of your face, and not only might it contour your features, but it also releases stored tension in your facial muscles.
Post-Gua Sha Care
After the gua sha treatment, make sure to clean your scraping tool thoroughly after every use. You can either clean it with alcohol or with antibacterial soap and water. Sanitizing the tools properly lessens the risk of bacteria transmission.
Most people store their gua sha stone inside freezers for an extra cooling effect to depuff the eyes. We recommend leaving the tools in the fridge for at least an hour. If you’re using a stainless steel tool, there’s no need to refrigerate it.
Paraffin-free facial oils can be applied to your jawline, chin, and neck as soon as the session is over to maximize the effects of gua sha. Some people also use a mist, like pure rose water or aloe water, to calm any redness you might have after. Facial mists can also be useful in enhancing the absorption of facial oil.
One should also drink a moderate amount of water and rest for at least an hour. Avoid taking a cold shower for 2 hours after the session to prevent wind from entering the body through open pores.
Gua sha treatments are painless and are generally safe. Though pinpoint-sized reddish spots called petechiae can appear after a session, it’s a fairly normal effect of the procedure. You could also be sore and tender for a short while after your treatment.
If you don’t hydrate and moisturize your skin before the session, it may cause bruising. There is the risk of getting broken skin during the procedure, which may cause infection and blood-borne diseases if bleeding occurs, which is also why it’s important to clean your gua sha tools properly.
Gua sha’s variety of benefits has made it a timeless healing method enjoyed worldwide. From treating chronic pain in the body to improving one’s physical appearance, it’s no wonder why its popularity continues to endure.
While you can do a gua sha treatment at home, seeking a licensed and experienced gua sha technician is still advisable, especially if you’re new to or unsure about the procedure. It’s also equally wise to employ a healthy regimen alongside the treatments to ensure fast, visible results.