EssieButton.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
Glossier’s Gen G lipsticks are one of their greatest products because it’s like getting multiple lipsticks in one.
Just swipe on another layer for more coverage and there you have a lip stain and full pigmented lipstick. While it lacks the full coverage of a matte liquid lipstick, it’s so flattering on the lips and it fits Glossier’s ‘yours but better’ mantra.
We love Glossier but their products are harder to get a hold of and they’re not the most pigmented, so let’s dupe it!
- Glossier Generation G Dupes: The List
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 3 Glossier Gen G Lipstick Dupes
Our favorite dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks is the Buxom PillowPout Creamy Plumping Lip Powder. These lip products are nearly identical: the buildable sheer coverage is there and they’re both matte. This proves to be a fantastic alternative.
Glossier Gen G lipsticks are built on the premise of being sheer with buildable coverage. Meaning, it’s like having a few different lipsticks in one. One swipe is a sheer lip balm look while five swipes can look like a fully, pigmented lipstick. Like all of Glossier’s products, this one is a, “your lips but better” look. It’s wearable, diffused look comes in a variety of shades ranging from nudes to reds to berries. A buildable, matte lip balm or stain will pose as a good dupe for Gen G.
Topping our list of the best dupes for Glossier’s Gen G Lipsticks is the Buxom PillowPout Creamy Plumping Lip Powder. This lipstick dupe is our favorite on the list, and for good reason. Not only does it deliver the finish of just-blotted lipstick that Glossier’s lipstick provides, but it plumps your lips while doing so.
Buxom’s Lip Polish features a diffused, matte texture in 8 color options, making it easy to get the look you’re going for. The smudge-proof formula that this lipstick offers can last up to eight hours, making it perfect for all-day wear.
All you have to do to get the soft and sexy stained effect from this lipstick is apply the sponge tip to your lips starting from the center and gliding from corner to corner. Buxom’s PillowPout Creamy Plumping Lip Powder adds the perfect touch to complete your makeup look with ease.
- Lip plumping formula.
- 8 stunning color options.
- Smudge-proof formula lasts up to 8 hours.
- Blotted, matte finish similar to Glossier’s Gen G lipstick.
- Slightly drying formula.
This glossy balm is an exact dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks. It’s a sheer, barely there color that can be layered on for a more pigmented look. The packaging is identical to Glossier and it’s really hard to find a sizable difference between the two. They come in 4 shades and many are very comparable to Glossier’s.
- Formula and packaging is an exact dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks.
- These come in 4 shades so there are options that are similar to Glossier’s offering.
- These are available in stores at drugstores so you can see the colors in person.
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and paraben-free.
- Wearable and hydrating formula.
- The price is similar to Glossier Gen G so why not just get those?
These sheer lipsticks are a total dupe for Glossier Gen G. They come in 4 wearable shades and offer a sheer wash of color and vitamin E. The only difference is Glossier is matte while these pull more shine. These aren’t fully shiny or matte but rather, comfortable. The price on these is just right and you can buy three of them for the cost of one Gen G lipstick.
- These come in 4 stunning, wearable shades.
- So affordable! You can get 3 of these for the price of 1 Glossier Gen G.
- Sheer, buildable wash of color reminds us of Gen G.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- The packaging is different but we love that the plastic component matches the shade.
- These lean towards a satin finish more than a matte one.
- Not as buildable.
These tinted lip balms have sheer, buildable coverage. These have a more glossy look but still resemble the Gen G lipsticks. Honest Beauty is vegan and cruelty-free plus it’s free of parabens and synthetic fragrance. The price on these is affordable, around 2 for one Glossier Gen G and there’s 7 different shades. They’re a great everyday, lowkey lip option.
- 7 sheer and buildable shades.
- Super affordable!
- Lip balm moisturizes the lips.
- Cruelty-free, vegan and free of parabens and synthetic fragrance. (Synthetic fragrance is usually phthalates!)
- White packaging is reminiscent of Glossier.
- These are a lip balm and don’t have a matte finish.
- Some reviews said these are too sheer and hard to spot on the lips.
If you want a blotted lip look, these are superb and deliver. These have a little sponge applicator so different then Glossier but very user friendly. This formula is matte, comfortable and buildable. It comes in 16 shades so you can find everyday colors and bold varieties. This is from NYX so the price is just right and it performs very well.
- These come in 16 shades and there is an option for every occasion.
- Blotted, matte look is buildable for full pigment.
- User friendly packaging.
- NYX is PETA cruelty-free approved.
- Get 2 for 1 Glossier Gen G lipstick.
- This has a different applicator than Glossier.
- These are more pigmented than Gen G.
This tinted, moisturizing lip balm provides a buildable, wash of color. Like Glossier, it gives off a ‘your lips but better look’ and wears well throughout the day. This formula is like a semi-matte finish and it lasts well throughout the day while hydrating. It comes in tons of shades and is totally affordable! It’s a hybrid sort of product that checks many boxes and we think you’ll love it.
- Affordable and comes in tons of shades.
- Pretty floral packaging.
- Lasts all day and helps to moisturize the lips.
- Applies like a lip balm and has buildable coverage.
- The packaging is a little bulky.
- Some said the formula is thicker than they expected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the Gen G lipsticks hydrating?
Gen G is not primarily used as a hydrating lip product. It’s used for a sheer wash of color and while it does contain hydrating ingredients, it’s a matte lip product. There is only so much hydration a matte lip product can provide. If you need something more hydrating on your lips, add a lip balm or gloss overtop.
The same goes for these dupes! Anything matte and sheer isn’t too high on the hydration factor. Your best bet is the Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balms as they are a balm, not a lipstick.
Do I need to line my lips before wearing lipstick like these?
If you like to line your lips you can! Glossier’s whole premise is your skin, lips etc but better. So, it’s sheer formula will not need a lip liner to look good like a more full coverage matte lipstick would need. If you want to make the lipstick look more intense, lip liner is probably your best bet.
Are these lipsticks long wearing?
It’s harder for something with sheer coverage to be long lasting because you don’t have much to give. While these are matte, they’re not going to be the most long-lasting lipstick you own. They’re more for the blotted, diffused lip look. And they’re easy to apply so they’re meant for reapplication throughout the day.
There are lots of good dupes for Glossier Gen G lipsticks because a sheer lipstick/balm isn’t too hard to come across. If we are looking at wear, feel, and experience, Buxom PillowPout Creamy Plumping Lip Powder is the best exact dupe. While they aren’t as affordable as we like, you can find them on the linked sites above which is much more readily accessed than Glossier.