Every woman aspires to get youthful, glowing skin. However, with big, oily pores, battling dull skin can be difficult. Usually found on the cheeks and T-zone, large pores can make your face look old. Although you can’t permanently change your pore size, there’s a way to shrink them.
This is where a primer comes in. A primer is the ultimate game-changer for dwindling pore size and smoothing rough skin texture. If your foundation gets cakey, exposing your pores and wrinkles, then you definitely need a primer. Let’s learn about the best primers for large pores and how they help your skin.
We think the best primer for large pores is the TEMPTU Base Makeup Primer.
Read on to find out why and which primers it beat out.
What Is the Best Primer for Large Pores?
Here, we have curated a brief list of some of the best, long-lasting primers for large pores. Most of these miraculously work to minimize pores while smoothing out wrinkles and fine lines. The result? Soft and supple skin that’s ready for long-lasting make-up. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
1. TEMPTU Base Makeup Primer
If you’re looking for a guaranteed way to minimize pores at the start of your makeup routine, look no further than the TEMPTU Base Makeup Primer. This primer works to diffuse the appearance of large pores and fine lines, creating the perfect, smooth canvas for your favorite foundation.
The TEMPTU Base Makeup Prime is great for those with oily skin, and it combats oil and produces a shine-free, matte finish. Plus, the formula is long-lasting, thus ensuring your makeup stays put for long days or nights.
- Diffuses large pores and fine lines
- Combats oil for a shine-free look
- Long-lasting formula for all-day wear
- Might not work well with all foundations
Where to Buy: Amazon
2. Smashbox Pore Minimizing Photo Finish Foundation Primer
This oil-free, mattifying face primer instantly blurs flaws, reduces the appearance of pores and controls oil for up to 8 hours.
Smashbox primers are formulated for different skin types. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is ideal for large pores as the formula tightens them up, giving your skin a lift.
It hides any minor imperfections like scars and blemishes and gives your skin an even tone. Its oil-controlling formula offers a smooth base, allowing the rest of the make-up to sit nicely.
- Shrinks pore size for a smooth make-up application
- Mattifying formula that controls excess oil for up to 8 hours
- Ideal for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Might pill or roll-off on oily skin types
3. Lancome La Base Pro Oil-Free Longwear Makeup Primer
Inspired by makeup artist techniques, Lancôme reveals the secret for a perfect complexion! An ultra-soft, translucent makeup base to smooth skin surface and boost makeup staying power.
La Base Pro Oil-Free Longwear Makeup Primer does exactly what the name claims. The formula is super-light, making it ideal for oily/combination skin. The primer basically reflects light off the surface of the skin, making the pores appear smaller and tighter.
Additionally, it corrects uneven textures and fades fine lines. This results in a smooth canvas for the next step in your make-up. Most ladies love it for the soft and matte complexion the primer gives.
- The ultra-lightweight formula for shrinking pores
- Soft, smooth, and matte finish
- Corrects uneven tone, ideal for all skin types
- Fills the pores with micro-beads that may irritate sensitive skin
Where to Buy: Amazon
4. Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Face Primer
This primer is lightly tinted and comes in the form of a balm. The texture is hydrating and moisturizing but not oily, making it perfect for blemishes and acne scars. The primer fills the pores and results in a smooth base for the foundation.
Above all, it dries quickly, which helps control shine on the T-zone. Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional primer is known for keeping the make-up matte and smooth all day.
- A silky, lightweight, hydrating balm
- Excellent for large pores and oily skin
- Eliminates shine on the T-zone resulting in a matte, smooth look
- Keeps make-up looking fresh for longer
- Contains silicones, which might cause breakouts in sensitive skin
Where to Buy: Amazon
5. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
This one is super-silky and quite literally veils imperfections. Hourglass Veil Primer is ideal for blemished, acne-prone, and aging skin. It conceals redness and delivers a chockfull of hydration to the skin.
It’s also enriched with mineral SPF that offers sun protection without clogging pores. The primer has a lightweight, airy texture that blurs any pores, wrinkles, and fine lines. Above all, its long-lasting application allows for better-looking makeup.
- Oil-free with a silky, soft texture for tightening pores
- Perfect base before all-day make-up application
- Enriched with Mineral-derived sunscreen
- The bottle isn’t user-friendly
- Too much product needed for a single application
Where to Buy: Amazon
6. Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
This primer’s miraculous formula makes all the pores disappear with its superior 12-hour staying power. Its vegan formula is ideal for most skin types giving an instant lift and bright glow to the face.
The Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer formula is also enriched with botanical extracts that prevent free radical damage. It’s ideal for both combination and oily skin. Once the primer begins to settle, it fades away all the imperfections, preparing a smooth, matte base for the foundation.
- Texturizes complexion and fades away pores
- Silky gel consistency ideal for oily/combination skin
- Infused with anti-oxidant botanical extracts that keep skin radiant and youthful
- Silicone formula may cause pilling in sensitive skin
7. Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Face Primer
This cruelty-free beauty works well for all skin types. Known as a real-life selfie filter, Thank Me Later Face Primer preps up your skin and controls shine. Its formula stands out for shrinking pores and brightening up the complexion.
By eliminating all the excess oil, the primer balances out the skin, resulting in a flawless look. The formula is enriched with a pearl powder that adds a youthful glow to the make-up application.
- The sebum-controlling formula that tightens pores
- The silky-smooth formula for a matte finish
- Sweat-proof and water-proof
- Not suitable for dry skin
Where to Buy: Amazon
What Exactly Is a Primer?
A make-up primer serves as a base for foundation. It preps up the skin before the actual make-up application. A primer essentially creates a smooth base for a foundation by tightening pores and evening out the skin texture.
Make-up primers can be cream, lotion, gel, or powder that allows the make-up to look fresh for longer. Wearing tinted moisturizers, BB creams, or foundation in hot weather can cause cakey skin. Layering a primer underneath prevents this problem as it gives your make-up something to hold on to for the entire day.
What Makes a Primer Good For Large Pores?
If you have large pores, using a primer can greatly help in minimizing their appearance. A primer prevents your make-up from clogging the pores by forming an invisible barrier on the skin.
Pore-refining primers are something make-up artists swear by and can’t do without. It doesn’t matter what your skin type is, using a primer hides away pores and wrinkles, resulting in beautiful, porcelain skin.
It absorbs excess oil that could lead to big pores and helps conceal imperfections. People with rosacea, acne, or pigmentation will love primers as it helps set a flawless base for make-up.
So, that concludes our list of the best primers for shrinking pores. Each of the above-listed primers is backed up by strong reviews from women who love wearing make-up.
Our top favorite is the bTEMPTU Base Makeup Primer. It has a silky formula that glides on your skin. It’s also safe for most skin types and delivers amazing pore-tightening results.
Make sure to check out all the primers on our list to find one that works for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Primer Help with Pores?
Yes, definitely. A primer usually has a silky formula that fills in the pores for a smooth texture. It, however, can’t change the pore size, only tighten it.
What can be used instead of face primer?
Some people skip out on a primer completely so you can start with a foundation instead. However, a good alternative is a hydrating facial mist or a pore-refining serum.
How much primer do I need for one application?
If it’s a gel or cream formula, you only need a pea-size amount for the entire face. If you’re using a primer oil, a few drops are enough.